Educator License Types
- Professional Educator License: The educator has completed an educator preparation program that includes content and pedagogical knowledge. This program may have been completed at a university or in an alternative pathway that was supported by school districts/charters and the Utah State Board of Education.
- Associate Educator License: The educator is currently completing an educator preparation program, but has not yet completed all requirements for Professional Educator License, license area, or endorsement. The educator is enrolled in a university-based or Local Education Agency (LEA)-based program. When the educator completes the program, they will have a professional level.
- Local Education Agency (LEA)-Specific Educator License: The educator has not completed an educator preparation program and is not currently enrolled in one.
An LEA- Specific license or endorsement holder may include:
- Career and Technical Education educators completing skills testing
- Educators teaching a small number of sections as content experts (e.g. a professional artist teaching one period)
- Educators with specialized knowledge teaching short-term (e.g. Dual Language Immersion)
- Educators waiting to complete USBE requirements for Out-of-State/International licensure or renewal of license, among other options.
Utah Educator Licensing Resource Graphics (Effective July 1, 2020):
School Licensing Breakdown (based on employee FTE): (Updated 9/17/21)
Alana Johnson - Summit Academy Licensing Contact